Over the years I am sure you have heard your IT consulting company preach different things to your small business as if they are life and death. Well we are here to tell you that some of those things that you may have overlooked before have cost some small businesses big time. The inability to understand some of the most common technology mistakes is a huge deal. So in honor of small businesses succeeding, we will give you a list of the most common mistakes we see in no particular order.
- Not having a data backup or data backup that is up to par– Electronic data is a huge part of many small business’s everyday operations. The loss of that data could be the difference between being very profitable and closing the doors.
- Using pirated software– Whether your business is aware or not, using pirated software can cause huge problems. The software your business uses must be properly licensed or face substantial fines and possible legal action.It is a good idea to let your IT consulting company handle licensing your software.
- Bad or non-existent password policies– Having password policies in place are of great importance especially when your company is working with documents of any privacy. It is seen in the news every day bad passwords make for venerable data.
- Bad or non-existent employee data access policies– An unfortunate part of business is that not all employees will work out. For whatever reason they have to be terminated or they move on by choice. Having policies in place to make sure that the employee no longer with the company has their access to sensitive information revoked is key.
- No monitoring or maintenance policies in place– Monitoring and managing to your systems performance is very important in ensuring minimal downtime and catching bottlenecks before they effect users. Monitoring critical systems can be accomplished by using a custom tool like the one we recommend here. Monitoring allows quick fixes when problems are detected. Implementation of a maintenance program will help keep unexpected costs down.
There you have it! Think there is anything we missed? We would love to hear from you!