Within the field of Information Technology, there are many phrases the not so tech-savvy person can understand. This can be an issue when consulting clients on what needs to be done in order to fix the issues they are having with their technology.
Here’s a list of some commonly used words technicians use and what they mean.
- 404 Error-This means the website you are trying to view could not be found on your server. The error typically comes from the user’s side. Either your server does not host this webpage or you typed in the wrong address and it does not exist.
- Direct Digital Marketing-Direct Digital Marketing is marketing through a digital outlet. This may include marketing email, a web browser, or a mobile phone number. In contrast, direct marketing used to be done solely through paper mail. Now, direct marketing has added a category which is the Direct Digital Marketing.
- Encryption-This is the process of converting data into code. Encryption is used to protect date from hackers who can steal data if not encrypted.
- Firmware-According to about.com, firmware is “software that is embedded in a piece of hardware.” This needs to be updated regularly in order for hardware to run properly. For example, a router for your wireless internet access contains firmware which will not work if it is not updated on a regular basis.
- Framework-This is the basic structure of a program.
- Spyware-Spyware is software that takes information from a user. This is typically hidden within programs being downloaded from the internet. It allows hackers to take information from you without you knowing about it.
- Access Point-An Access Point is the device that “allows wireless devices to connect to a network.” For example, a wireless router is an access point for wireless internet connection.