St. Louis technology companies trying to educate their clients on the importance of online safety are in a constant struggle against a general unawareness of threats. Something that may seem simple to tech savvy people may not be to the common person.
As a St. Louis technology company ourselves, we understand that many things about internet safety may be misunderstood or plainly just not known by the common user. That’s why we decided to take a step back and let you know what we think are the best ways to keep safe online from viruses and scams.
- Watch online shopping– Make sure that when you are ready to purchase something online that you look for signs of vulnerability with the site. The most common sign that we see is an online store not using an SSL certificate. That means if you do not see “https” in the browser window at the top of your screen shopping there is probably not a good idea.
- Use strong passwords– It may seem like a common thing, but some do not realize the need for strong passwords on their online accounts, especially the ones that have sensitive information stored in them. Passwords should include upper and lowercase letters as well as some form of special characters to make them the strongest. If you need help understanding password strength our IT support team can help.
- Watch what you click on– There are many things on the internet that can compromise your personal files and computer. Watching what you click on can be very helpful in keeping your computer safe.
- Keep your antivirus up to date– Keeping your antivirus up to date is a crucial step in keeping your computer safe from infections that could come from surfing online. Sometimes no matter how hard you try to keep safe online there is opportunity for a virus or piece of malware to be accidently downloaded to your PC.
- Understand what webpage you are visiting– Often times while surfing the internet you may type in the wrong website address. Sometimes these wrong addresses often very similar to the website you were trying to reach contain danger. Steer clear!
There are many other ways to keep safe online and you should do your due diligence in making sure to stay up to date on the latest scams and safety tricks. If you have any questions about anything technology related feel free to contact us.