With Windows 10 gaining traction in the enterprise world it is a must for us as a St. Louis IT consulting company to explain to our clients the pros and cons of upgrading. We will start out with the pros to upgrading.
- New user interface with new icons and graphics (touch friendly) with a customizable start menu
- Integration with Cortana (Microsoft’s voice assistant).
- Better setup and recovery options including backup (Great for Louis Microsoft Service companies).
- New web browser built in (Microsoft Edge).
- Improved security including improved device guard which can help IT consulting companies keep malware off users machines.
Although there are many pros to upgrading; Windows 10 also has some cons that clients and IT providers both need to recognize.
- Wi-Fi connectivity issues have been found to be a problem as Microsoft reports a workaround here.
- Learning curve for those used to a Windows 7 interface (Some functions have been moved).
- Mandatory automatic updates limit your IT providers ability to control potential risks in upgrading.
- Some features from previous versions of Windows will be removed upon upgrade. Those features or apps are noted here.
In any event the advancement of operating systems that Microsoft has implemented is a great step forward. With a free upgrade option it is a great step in keeping companies as well as the public up to date with modern technology. It will help people adapt to more modern interfaces and increase the security of PC’s in a time when security is a huge issue. Whether you are for the upgrade or not most IT administrators will tell you to consult them before making any major changes like upgrading to Windows 10. If you have any questions about whether your organization should look into upgrading, please contact us at 866-TECVAR1.